Summer Fire Safety Tips
Summer is in full swing, and summer means grilling out and lighting up a fire to sit around once the sun goes down. Here in The Upper Peninsula, we like to take full advantage of the summer weather! We also love a good cook out, so we move from cooking inside to outside on the grill. While we look forward to this time of year, it is important to keep these fire safety tips in mind.
- Keep at least a three foot clearance around the entire grill. Keep kids and pets clear of this area too!
- Move the grill away from the house and fence, and move it out from underneath any overhangs. Do not use the grill under trees or near shrubbery.
- Regularly clean out the grease traps on your grill to prevent grease fires.
- Never leave your grill unattended!
- If using charcoal, make sure the coals have cooled completely before disposing of them in a metal container.
- Keeping a fire extinguisher or a big box of baking soda in the vicinity is good idea in case a fire does breakout.
- When a burn ban is in effect, use a fire pit, preferably with a lid that can cover the fire in case of an emergency.
- When a burn ban is not in effect, you can burn on the ground where the grass is low and green. Never burn on grass that is long or dry! Take a hose and saturate the area around the fire with water to help prevent it from spreading.
- Drag a hose over to where you’re burning. If you have a sprayer on your hose, turn the water on and keep it on until you’re through with your fire in case of an emergency.
- Never have a fire under trees or overhangs, near shrubbery, or close to the house.
- Keep flammable materials away from fires.
- Never leave a fire unattended.
- Never have a fire on a windy day!
Happy St. Patrick's Day!
Don't get in a pinch! Choose the team that's ALWAYS wearing green! At SERVPRO of The Upper Peninsula, we're always here to help. Happy St. Patrick's Day!
7 Tips to Avoid Bursting Pipes this Winter
7 Tips to Avoid Bursting Pipes this Winter
SERVPRO of The Upper Peninsula is here to help in case of a pipe that bursts or lines that freeze. Our crews are ready 24/7! No matter how big or small our local SERVPRO team handles them all, give us a call at (906) 204-2450!
7 Helpful Tips to Avoid Bursting Pipes This Winter
- Wrap outside faucets.
- Caulk around pipes where they enter the house.
- Disconnect garden hoses.
- Drain in-ground sprinkler systems
- Let a stream of water run if the temperature dips below freezing.
- Open cupboard doors in the kitchen and bathrooms.
- Shut off and drain your water system if you are leaving the house for several days.
We Specialize in Flooded Basement Cleanup and Restoration!
This SERVPRO of The Upper Peninsula home's basement flooded due to heavy rains.
A basement can flood at any time, although flooding most often occurs during heavy rainfall. Basements are inherently prone to flooding because they are the lowest level of a building and are normally built partly or entirely below ground level. There are a number of reasons why your Upper Peninsula basement could flood, including:
- A blocked or failed sewer lateral pipe
- Heavy rain causes surface water to pool around your home
- Storm sewer backup
- Sanitary sewer backup
- Foundation drainage failure
- Water supply-line break or hot-water tank failure
- And many more
Have Questions about Basement Flooding?
Call Today-SERVPRO of The Upper Peninsula (906) 204-2450
If flood water is not handled quickly and properly, it can jeopardize your health and safety, and cause severe damage to your home's structure. Remember, the longer you wait, the worse the problem will get.
The bottom line: a flooded basement can jeopardize your health, safety, and your home's integrity. It's worth making a call to SERVPRO of The Upper Peninsula and let our trained, professional crews handle the situation safely and correctly. WE have earned the trust of hundreds of homeowners, business owners, and property professionals.
We are Flooded Basement Specialists:
- We are available 24/7
- We're a Preferred Vendor to many National Insurance Companies
- We bill the Insurance directly-One less thing for you to worry about
- Our technicians are highly-trained in Water Restoration Techniques
- We use s500 IICRC Restoration standards
- Advanced inspection and extraction Equipment
Basement Flooded? Call us Today-We're Ready to Help
SERVPRO of The Upper Peninsula (906) 204-2450
Smoke and Soot Cleanup
Smoke and Soot Damage Can Cause a Pervasive Odor in Your Upper Peninsula Home.
Smoke and soot is very invasive and can penetrate various cavities within your home, causing hidden damage and odor. Our smoke damage expertise and experience allows us to inspect and accurately assess the extent of the damage to develop a comprehensive plan of action.
Smoke and soot facts:
- Hot smoke migrates to cooler areas and upper levels of a structure.
- Smoke flows around plumbing systems, seeping through the holes used by pipes to go from floor to floor.
- The type of smoke may greatly affect the restoration process.
Different Types of Smoke
There are two different types of smoke-wet and dry. As a result, there are different types of soot residue after a fire. Before restoration begins, SERVPRO of The Upper Peninsula will test the soot to determine which type of smoke damage occurred. The cleaning procedures will then be based on the information identified during pretesting. Here is some additional information:
Wet Smoke-Plastic and Rubber
- Low heat, smoldering, pungent odor, sticky, smeary. Smoke webs are difficult to clean.
Dry Smoke-Paper and Wood
- Fast burning, high temperatures, heat rises therefore smoke rises.
Protein Fire Residue-Produced by evaporation of material rather than from a fire
- Virtually invisible, discolors paints and varnishes, extreme pungent odor.
Our Fire Damage Restoration Services
Since each smoke and fire damage situation is a little different, each one requires a unique solution tailored for the specific conditions. We have the equipment, expertise, and experience to restore your fire and smoke damage. We will also treat your family with empathy and respect and your property with care.
Have questions about Fire, Smoke or Soot Damage?
Call Us Today-SERVPRO of The Upper Peninsula (906) 204-2450
For Immediate Service in The Upper Peninsula, Call SERVPRO
We provide immediate service day or night!
SERVPRO of The Upper Peninsula provides 24-hour emergency services and is dedicated to being faster to any-sized disaster in The Upper Peninsula. We can respond immediately to your emergency and have the expertise to handle your restoration or cleaning needs.
- 24-Hour Emergency Service
- Faster to Any-Sized Disaster
- Highly Trained Restoration Technicians
- A Trusted Leader in The Restoration Industry
- Locally Owned and Operated
- Advanced Restoration and Cleaning Equipment
Have Questions? Call us 24/7 SERVPRO of The Upper Peninsula (906) 204-2450
Whether your Upper Peninsula home needs emergency flood damage or your upholstery cleaned, you can depend on us. Our technicians have extensive cleaning and restoration training and can make your property look its best. Learn more about our residential services:
- Water Damage Restoration
- Fire Damage Restoration
- Mold Remediation
- Storm Damage Restoration
- Cleaning Services
- Sewage Back-up Services
- Building/Reconstruction Services
There's never a convenient time for fire or water damage to strike your Upper Peninsula commercial property. Every hour spent cleaning up is an hour of lost revenue and productivity. So when the need arises for professional cleaning or emergency restoration services we have the training and expertise to respond promptly with highly trained technicians to get your property back to business. Learn more about our commercial services: http://www.SERVPROtheupperpeninsula.com/commercial-restoration-services
- Commercial Water Damage Restoration
- Commercial Fire Damage Restoration
SERVPRO of The Upper Peninsula provides 24 hour fire and water damage restoration service in The Upper Peninsula.
SERVPRO of The Upper Peninsula is available 24 hours a day for water emergencies, large or small. When you are dealing with water damage, immediate action is crucial. A delay of just a few hours can greatly increase the severity of the water damage.
We Answer the Phone Ready to Help
Call Today - (906) 204-2450
We understand that when you call us, you may be feeling confused, stressed, and vulnerable. You need an expert to guide you through this crisis. SERVPRO of The Upper Peninsula has the specific water damage training and experience to help you through this tough time. We specialize in water damage restoration—in fact, it's the cornerstone of our business.
What to Expect
When you call, we will ask several questions regarding your water damage emergency. These questions will help us determine what equipment and resources to bring, including how many trained SERVPRO Professionals may be needed.
Our SERVPRO Representative will ask several questions:
- Your name and contact information
- Your insurance information (if applicable)
- The street address of the water-damaged home or business
- When did the flooding or water damage occur?
- What caused the water damage (if known)?
- Is there electricity available (on-site)?
About SERVPRO of The Upper Peninsula
SERVPRO of The Upper Peninsula specializes in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial property after a fire, smoke or water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.